Russian President Vladimir Putin has broken his silence on the recent Hamas attack on Israel, calling for a “cessation of hostilities” between the two sides.
In a statement released on October 12, 2023, Putin said that he was “deeply concerned” about the escalating violence in the region and urged both sides to “exercise restraint.”
“I call on all parties to immediately cease hostilities and return to the negotiating table,” Putin said. “There is no military solution to this conflict. Only through dialogue and diplomacy can a lasting peace be achieved.”
Putin’s statement comes as the conflict between Israel and Hamas has entered its second week, with hundreds of people killed on both sides.
The conflict began on October 8, 2023, when Hamas launched a series of rocket attacks on Israel. Israel responded with airstrikes on Gaza, and the violence has spiraled since then.
The international community has called for an immediate ceasefire, but both sides have so far refused to comply. The United Nations has warned that the conflict is creating a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where over two million people live under a strict Israeli blockade.
Russia is a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council and has a long history of involvement in the Middle East conflict. Putin’s statement is a significant development, and it remains to be seen whether it will have any impact on the course of the conflict.